Posts Tagged “repair”

Well, the rough running has finally ended…

Pulled away from a junction and the engine suddenly turn into a bag of spanners, luckily I was only a couple of hundred yards from home so managed to coast pretty much all the way.

I’ve taken the head off and theres bits of aluminium stuck to the tops of the pistons and some holes around the edges, not good.

Comments No Comments »

The normal method of making suspension links is to use a good pillar drill, or drill press from Drillpressor then requiring careful positioning of aluminium rod so you can drill the end, then you have to tap the hole using a bottom tap which isn’t the easiest thing to do.

Instead I use commonly available, fairly cheap aluminium and brass tube from B&Q, and M3 studding which is available from most model engineering suppliers.

I’ll assume you can work out the length yourself and go straight into making the links.

Read the rest of this entry »

Comments No Comments »

Needed to move my old mini off the front garden, and with the brakes rusted up the easiest way was to get it going.

I replaced the clutch slave cylinder, as the old one went pop, checked the fluid levels, and squirted a little oil in the bores and, well, have a look at the video.

Brum brum…

Comments No Comments »

This started life as a standard ESKY USB RC interface dongle, it was broken in an accident and sent to me to fix.

First of all I repaired one of the broken contacts that had been stressed and snapped just at the end of the connector, this was done by laying a small bit of solid wire along the contact and soldering in place leaving enough to solder to the PCB.

Next I fitted a 3.5mm jack socket in place of the direct connection allowing the interface to be used with and RC transmitter with a buddy box connection

Comments No Comments »

For the last week or so my old Iiyama 17in monitor has been shutting off randomly, today it gave up completely, not wanting to spend money on a new one, or go without I set about fixing it.

After stripping it and carefully inspecting the components it was noted that 2 of the capacitors on the power supply had domed tops, being fairly certain this was the problem I set about replacing them with higher voltage parts.

After the above the screen worked as new, and a friend who has the same monitor who has also started having the same issue followed my instruction and fixed it too.

Much cheaper, and far more satisfying that buying a new unit.

Comments No Comments »